<span id="hs_cos_wrapper_name" class="hs_cos_wrapper hs_cos_wrapper_meta_field hs_cos_wrapper_type_text" style="" data-hs-cos-general-type="meta_field" data-hs-cos-type="text" >Living Together, Not on Title, but Now We're Split: What Do I Get?</span>

Living Together, Not on Title, but Now We're Split: What Do I Get?

The rapid increase in house prices and rents has caused people to start living together.  That comes with share expenses, paying for house improvements, and the like.  When things go sour, what do you get paid back?
The textbook rule in real estate cases like this is you are entitled to the increased value of the home that the homeowner receives as a result of your money or efforts.  If you pay $10,000 for a new roof and an expert states it increased the value by $15,000, you get $15,000.
If you pay rent, you don't get anything.  Rent is just paying what you are receiving the benefit of in exchange for your rent.  Same for utilities or basic things like lawn maintenance.
The rapid increase in housing prices also could mean you have a significant value increase from your contributions.  A proper real estate expert is necessary to testify in those situations.  I have an excellent group of agents and appraisers I rely on for such expertise.
If your living situation sounds like the above synopsis, let's talk about your options and rights!

Related Posts